Friday, March 31, 2017

Steve Bannon's Acid Flashback



Isabelle said, “I want to start a band called Steve Bannon’s Acid Bath.”

We were talking over the phone, the way we do now, reflecting on an article I had shared with her from Wonkette which described anapartment Steve Bannon rented that has a Jacuzzi full of acid (“the dissolvey kind!”) in it. She often calls me on bluetooth while she’s driving the 45 minutes to her home in Encinitas from her work in Lemon Grove.

She’ll be heading up the 5, with the deep blue ocean sparkling on her left, all that wasted beauty. I’ll be staring out the window 1400 miles north of there in Olympia, looking at grim, grey, relentless rain. It’s weird we live in the same universe, I’ll think, much less on the coast of the same country.

“Steve Bannon’s Acid Bath,” I say admiringly. “Musically, itshould sound exactly like GWAR.”


“Yes, yes. With everyone wearing giant masks with exploding cysts on them…goo-ing up the audience.”

I giggle. “Remember the time we went to Iguana’s in Tijuana the night after a GWAR concert and the stage and everywhere was still all messed up with paint?” We both laugh, a little ruefully.

”Yeah, you got some on your best pants.”

"...and then I made butt prints everywhere!"


And we fell silent, remembering. Isabelle’s and my past is littered with these colorful moments, bright and shiny memories that twinkle through the dull patina of reality: kids, commutes, rain; layoff notices, bills, college entrance exams…the usual bull crap that makes up our little lives. Our music fandom used to be our escape, but now it often feels like there is no exit.

Later that night, Isabelle sent me an e-mail with a fake press release for Steve Bannon’s Acid Bath.

“Formed in the basement of a DC squat, Steve Bannon’s Acid Bath is set to tour the US. Taking a page from the Richmond, Virginia performance art act GWAR, the band that performs in giant rubber masks, each representing a member of Trump’s inner circle. Bannon’s mask is clearly the most detailed, complete with cysts and a real rodent crawling under his skin. The band, whose fans now refer to it just as Acid Bath, are selling Bannon Masks on the internet that have propelled the band from obscurity to mainstream fame.

Calling its music “fake music,’ both the band and and its fans aren’t concerned that the band members can’t play their instruments, read music, or sing. The band’s singer, Kellyanne Conway Twitty, says, “If Trump can be President with no talent for the job or training, then it only makes sense that we can do the same thing with music. We are to music what Trump is to government. That is why we are so beloved.”

Next week, the band is set to perform on Saturday Night Live.”

I wrote her back. “We should print this up and send it to every media outlet, without the last sentence, and with a photo. It can be our follow up to the Free the Fronds movement.”

“Free the Fronds” was a fake protest group we formed back in Palo Alto when we first met, right out of college. The group (i.e. that is, the two of us, plotting it all out at a table at the Peninsula Creamery, Palo Alto’s only all-night eatery) demanded that a local hotel untie the fronds of their three brand new palm trees. We made flyers and hung a banner over the train overpass and stuff like that, and although the whole thing was absurd, just a way for Isabelle to use all the cool copy equipment at her job, we were only half joking. We really didn’t like the way the poor trees looked, with their fronds tied up like troll-doll hair for weeks and weeks on end, even though we found out later (when the hotel finally consented to untie them and invited us to the opening ceremony) that it was the healthy way to transport them.


It probably says something terrible about Isabelle and I that we were always more likely to start a fake protest movement than a real band. That was true then and its true now: we both would sooner be in the audience than on the stage, or even back stage. It’s our single commonality, and it’s uncommon, I think. Backstage is a place of broken dreams. It is unromantic and cold there, but those who covet it feel happy to be there, so privileged, so special. I did myself once, but I learned not to: it wasn’t safe there, in any case. It was a place where you were going to be ignored or belittled.

Later on, when I became a music professional, we found ourselves permanently ensconced there, and it wasn’t…it wasn’t a pure place. Being backstage brings out the worst in people. One time I was backstage at a show – the Three O Clock at the Keystone Palo Alto -- and the next day this girl Francine kept boasting to me about how she was backstage and hung out with the band, and I was so horrified, because I had been there the whole time and thus knew that she hadn’t, and I couldn’t speak. I felt like I was seeing her in her underpants, viewing her naked soul in all its ugliness, exposed.

And the worst was, I knew I had just such a soul, and that it too was tempted, all the time, to show itself.

To be honest, I probably still have it, but everything is different now. I fain to say it, but we grow old, Isabelle and I; the bottoms of our trousers are rolled, and the peaches are less and less tempting. Life is harder and the news is faker, and stuff that seemed hilarious back in the 1990s now seems positively sinister.

Of course, maybe it always was and we just didn't know it: for instance, someone recently told me that the cost of the care and maintenance of a single one of the palm trees on Palm Drive in Palo Alto is exactly the same as the cost of a Stanford education, and I believe it.


Our frond liberation front was on to something, we just had hold of the wrong end of the stick. Way wrong.

Meanwhile, today there is no chance that we’ll be going backstage at anything, and that’s OK; we don't much like going out at all anymore. But we still like making fake protest groups, and this time I think we know which end of the stick is up. Isabelle thinks that Steve Bannon's Acid Bath should be like a cross between ghost-band camp and a fantasy baseball league: you-all can join in with fake songs you've written or fake flyers you've made, or however you think you can contribute to the project. We're planning on sending Acid Bath out on tour next week. Each of you will have to post your flyers up in your own city one by one.

The only thing is, you all will have to swear yourself to secrecy, since our goal is to hoodwink someone into booking them, at which point they'll have to cancel -- Milo-like -- because of the threat of white supremacists.

Who's in?

7 comments:

Corry342 said...

I can make a convincing history for the predecessor groups for Steve Bannon's Acid Bath: Steve Bannon's LSD Body Wash, and The Stephen Miller Band.

I think you and Isabelle are underestimating yourselves. You demanded that the Palms be Free, and within days they were. I am looking forward to tuning in to Saturday Night Live

KMTBERRY said...

I never realized what a Genius Isabel is until I read this.

KMTBERRY said...

"Calling its music "Fake Music"....

My soul is filled with Isabel worship

gina said...

Plus it's her birthday!!! Happy birthday Is!

Vivien said...

Happy birthday Is from me too! Also - love appearances of the word "eatery." So print journalism.
best luck to SBAB

mountain kimmie said...

Oh my god. I can't believe I've found my way here after all these years. Isabelle, who I never met, has been a hero of mine for these last 30 years or so. I worked at Xerox in the 1980's as an admin assistant to a group where she had been admin sometime before I arrived. I was told stories about her. My boss said she "had no business being an admin . . .she should have been an artist or something creative." They rolled their eyes when they described her clothes, which they called ridiculous. They told me a story about a prank protest called "Free the Fronds," explaining it was just a joke, but with the quizzical air of those who do not "get" performance art and the prankster ethic. The department was a group of women technical writers, and I felt I had nothing in common with them and would never be good enough in their eyes. While they spoke fondly of Isabelle it was with mild condescension, yet instantly I felt she was a kindred spirit and a fellow traveler. The electric hum of her personality seemed to linger in the air, and it felt like a handhold and a help. I suffered terribly from crushing depression and low self esteem in those days, and thinking of Isabelle and her exuberant wardrobe that raised the hackles of the humorless old bats I worked for filled me with hope and courage and the feeling that I was not alone. Eventually I would have an awakening or an epiphany that allowed me to escape the worst of my depression and feelings of inadequacy. I went on to find the places where boom bands were playing, to paraphrase Dr. Seuss, to feel ok about myself, to search out the company of those who yanked the chain of the status quo and held a mirror up to the dumber aspects of society. And I never forgot about Isabelle, who had been holding the signpost that pointed me along the way I was supposed to be going and left a reassuring message that it was ok to be creative and mischievous and that the dreary 80's office culture was not all there was to life. She was one of those "strangers I have known," people who influenced me or helped me or shined a light into my personal darkness, yet who I never met or met only briefly and never saw again. I always wished I could meet her, or just let her know that she has been my heroine. Periodically I would look for signs of her on the Internet, but could never find any reference to the Free the Fronds story (which has rattled around in my head all these years) until now. I'm only sorry that I've stumbled across this post so long after it was made. If you are able to get a message to Isabelle, tell her that in her wake she left a lifeline to a stranger who needed it, though she would have been completely unaware of this. --mountain kimmie

gina said...

Hi Kimmie - wow, that’s so amazing that I am tempted to think that it’s fake and written by her sister to cheer her up — but of course you couldn’t possibly know where she worked so it must be real. The internet is a magical place, isn’t it??

That is so funny you worked at XP, Isabelle talks about that place all the time, it sort of scarred her. I will be sure to let her know your extremely kind words…she doesn’t do social media at all, HATES it, but will no doubt love to hear from you.

It was funny revisiting this piece given Steve Bannon’s subsequent horrid role in American events…particularly lately, he is still maddening. Thanks so much for writing and checking in, it’s made my morning!

Gina xo