Sunday, October 22, 2017

Song of the Week: Oct. 15-22



 This week's blog was on the just-released Replacements album "For Sale" (Rhino), which just went to number one on Billboard's vinyl charts and is a must-own item for any Replacements fan: in it, I  wrote about how it reminded me of record stores and my misspent youth. There's a link in it to a very obscure Paul Westerberg song from the soundtrack to "Open Season," and I considered making that my song of the week, especially as it takes a gentle but sharp, nuanced view of the issues surrounding gun control (!). The mats used to seem like the most apolitical band in America, and while I kind of treasure that gesture in these horrid times, what I treasure even more is when he does suddenly make some trenchant stab at commentary. There's no good version of "We May Be The Ones" online, but this song - from last year's (aptly named) "Wild Stab" record, with Juliana Hatfield (recording as The I Don't Cares), has an even pointier point to make. Listen and see if you can figure it out.


KING OF AMERICA, THE I DON'T CARES.

PS Note video's similarity to the famous video for Bastards of Young. Never gets old, does it?

No comments: